Monday 16 January 2012

another ferry heading into circular quay


inside the opera house

the opera house

Monday 16th Jan. Having spent my first day just napping and trying to acclimatize I went into Mosman today to have a look around and get some food.  Absolutely tipped it down although it was still warm so wasn't able to get very far. However after the rain had stopped I suddenly had a wave of energy and decided to do the opera house tour. Rob very kindly dropped me down to the ferry which takes you into circular key. I couldn't help but smile as I came around into the main harbour and saw the opera house and bridge. The bridge is so big! I quickly discovered when trying to take pictures that my camera is dead so haven't been able to upload any although have taken loads on my phone. After getting off the ferry I walked around to the Opera house and made my way to the tour meeting point. We were shown around and first went into the drama theatre, which is one of the three smaller theatres on the ground floor. In this theatre they did more experimental stuff and there was a smaller circular stage in the middle of the room, a bath tub, and a seating area which looked like a cafe. Next we went outside and up a flight of steps into an area where we watched a small film about the architect. The place was very purple, with a purple carpet that Pavarotti had famously refused to step on to take photos as being superstitious, they line the coffins in Italy with purple fabric. We then went into the concert hall and looked around which was pretty cool followed by the opera hall itself. Apparently we were lucky to see both of these as often they are in use during the day so unavailable for tours. I then headed back to Hip and Rob's house using the ferry and bus. By this time my jet lag was seriously catching up with me. Jonathan and his fiancee Madison came over for tea, they showed us pictures of their recent trip to Africa where they had done crazy stuff like shark diving with great whites. Then went to bed and had the best nights sleep so far, think I'm coming onto Australia time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment